September 28, 2012

 

Gene Watson Day marked with new street


As a tribute to country legend, Gene Watson, in honour of his 50 years in the country music business, the state of Texas declared September 25th to be GENE WATSON DAY.  Furthermore, Watson’s hometown of Paris, Texas named a street in his honour. Early on the 25th, workers with the city of Paris placed three signs proclaiming the main thoroughfare of the Red River Valley Fairgrounds as “Gene Watson Boulevard.” The street sign was officially given to Gene Watson by the Paris mayor, Dr. AJ Hashmi at the start of Gene’s annual Red River Valley Fair performance.  Asked what the day meant to him, Watson replied, “Growing up on a dirt road on the outskirts of Paris, Texas, it never in my wildest dreams occurred to me that one day I’d have a street named for me in my own hometown. .”



Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]